Monday, February 2, 2009
"Real Archaeologists Don't Wear Fedoras"
In Neil Asher Silberman's "Real Archaeologists Don't Wear Fedoras" he makes the argument that Indiana Jones does not portray a real archaeologist. He instead portrays a a guy that Silberman says, "is hacking his way through thick jungles, careering wildly in car chases and scrambling through dark tunnels to snatch a precious artifact from the clutches of an evil empire." I agree with him that Indiana Jones is not your typical archaeologist. But what Silberman must remember is that Indiana Jones is a fictional character and was made to entertain. If it wasn't for Indiana Jones I doubt many people would even know what an Archaeologists does. I bet people have become archaelogists just because they were inspired by Indiana Jones. If anything I think archaeologists should be happy that Indiana Jones exist because with out him I believe that an everyday archaeologist wouldn't receive as much respect for the work they do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment